Sunday, August 12, 2012

Simple Sundays

Over the past few years our family has been on a spiritual journey to love and know Him more. One of the things that has changed is my view of Sunday.
I used to think that I couldn't listen to certain music or do anything that wasn't conducive to spiritual life. And any time I broke one of these rules, I felt guilty.

But over the past year God has helped me to see Sundays in a new light.
 Mark 2:27-28 (NIV) Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

In today's English, we might say, "Sundays were made for us to enjoy and take some R & R. Jesus is Lord even over our rest." Sundays weren't made for us to prove to God that we can cease activity. Sundays are a gift to us. A day to slow the frantic activity of life and rest. It's so easy for us to keep running at a hundred miles an hour and never stop to rest. That's where Sundays can be such a wonderful gift from God. And how do we unwrap this gift? Here are a few things that I've done to help me relax.



Turn off the computer. E-mail, blogging, Facebook, writing, and work are mostly done of my computer. If I commit to turning it off for a day, my stress and workload go down to almost nothing.

Do something you enjoy. Whether it's dancing, listening to music, drawing, sewing, read a book, or walking, take some time and do it. Relax. Enjoy some down time.

Take some quiet time. Sometimes quiet time isn't so quiet. If you live in a house with kids, silence isn't something that you have a lot of. Instead of trying to make everyone else be quiet, go into your room turn on some music that turns your heart toward God. Let Him speak to your heart and enjoy His presence.

Have some friends over and enjoy some fun fellowship.

Most important let Sundays become about resting God. Let it become a day to rest and recharge for the new week.

God bless and keep you all, Rose

1 comment: